Re: Group/Template Support

Ian,
I'm a member of the SVG working group, the editor for the SVG Requirements
document, and one of the editors for the SVG specification which is now
under development.

These are all open issues right now. Any chance you can express what you
would like to see in SVG in these areas, plus how widespread you think
these needs might be? We are definitely interested in perspectives from
outside of the SVG working group.

PGML allows object templates (a <graphic>) to contain <group> objects. (I'm
not sure about VML.) In our implementations of PGML, we allowed for
overriding default attributes, but we didn't give a way to override
attributes on child objects within the object template. Allowing for
overriding attributes on child objects seems achievable, but it would mean
we would have to define a mini grammar for this feature. Do you think the
feature justifies the added complexity in the language and the extra
programming for SVG to support it?

Thanks.
Jon Ferraiolo
Adobe Systems Incorporated