Re: Should event and accessKey timing respect preventDefault?

On 30 August 2010 01:28, Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl> wrote:

> Thanks to Rick's clarification I now retract my original analysis: I think
> Brian's original analysis is correct.
>
> The situation is indeed an event listener calling event.preventDefault() to
> stop normal processing.
>
> With this new understanding, it would seem most logical that a call to
> preventDefault() would indeed forestall the event starting the element.

Thanks Jack for looking into this. Sorry for me delay in following this up.

I think this behaviour needs to be specified.

There seems to be an understanding that clarifications in recent versions of
SMIL should be back-ported to SMIL Animation / SVG so perhaps an erratum for
SMIL 3 would do the trick. Otherwise, perhaps this could be defined as
host-language dependent (again, in an erratum) and then specified in SVG.
Personally I prefer the former since SMIL 3 already makes reference to
closely-related behaviour such as event bubbling but you'll know best what's
the right course.

Thanks again,

Brian Birtles