From: www-smil-request@w3.org [mailto:www-smil-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Jack Jansen
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 4:45 AM
To: Takahiro Fujiwara
Cc: www-smil@w3.org
Subject: Re: SMIL for Digital Signage

On  30-Apr-2009, at 18:25 , Takahiro Fujiwara wrote:

Hello all,

I am new to this Mailing list and new to SMIL.

An organization which I joined recently has been considering to
implement a playlist for Digital Signage system (e.g. Mobile Signage).

I checked out that there are some playlist formats on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playlist

I think SMIL is one of big candidate for our use.

However I could not find our requirements as follows.

1.      Need a non time events.  Such as "when Bus stop arrived to
'B'.", "when GPS points to outside of Tokyo.", "beginning of the rain" –
these events will be converted to signals.

There are multiple possibilities. But I think the best candidate is SMIL
State events (which are new since SMIL 3.0). SMIL State is a way to use
variables in SMIL, and you could set up your application so that there
is an external agent that modifies state variables based on things like
GPS location, or which stop the bus is at. You can then trigger to these
to have the SMIL presentation react.

2.      Priority e.g.
lowest priority = sequence of "video-a", "video-b", "video-c"
low priority:  City changed "video-city", Rain status "video-rain"
middle priority:  When time comes every o’clock, show
"video-clock-commercial"
top priority:  Bus stop changed "video-arrive to the bus stop 'B'.

SMIL has the <PriorityClass> element specifically for this use case. It
can be used within an <excl> element to group the alternatives according
to priority. Moreover, you can specify whether high-priority events
pause the lower priority events they interrupt (allowing them to
continue when the high-priority event has completed) or completely
replace them.

Please tell me how to do that.

Or tell me whether SMIL is suite for this purpose or not.

Your advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Takahiro Fujiwara

 Takahiro Fujiwara, EAST Co., Ltd. Japan

 Tel: +81 90 7262 9883  Fax: +81 48 298 1723

 [RENEWAL!Schedule] http://tinyurl.com/fujiwat-calendar

 ViceChair of NewsML1-WorkingParty

    IPTC (International Press Telecommunication Council)

 LiaisonOfficer of SteeringCommittee & XML Evangelist

    XML Consortium Japan

 Certification Creators of Crossmedia-Expert

    JAGAT (Japan Association of Graphic Arts Technology)

Goldman