Subject: Re: add zip to SMIL 3.0 players
From: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, October 18, 2008 10:39 am
To: Jose Ramirez <jose@multimedia4everyone.com>
Cc: www-smil@w3.org

Hi !

There are a number of challenges with packaging a multimedia file set,
such as the issue of network streaming, or the fact that SMIL is often
used as an aggregator for external data sources that are not necessarily

located at the same place.

Some related concerns have been addressed by Open-Office or Microsoft
Office's respective ZIP-based packaging standards. It is also worth
noting that IDPF's ePub format uses a packaging method that is derived
from the Open-Office standard (multi-parts, manifest, compression,
etc.).

Food for thoughts.
Regards, Daniel