Re: [SMIL30 CR comment] Editorial bug in SMIL Tiny Section example

On 2008-02-02 09:19, Philipp Hoschka wrote:

> In
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/CR-SMIL3-20080115/smil30.html#smil-tiny-profile
>
> it says:
>
> "In addition, the example uses the clipBegin and clipEnd attributes from
> the MediaClipping module and the wallclock from the WallclockTiming
> module. These two required modules are declared in the smil element as
> defined in the SMIL 3.0 Scalability Framework."
>
> Doesn't this mean that these attributes should have namespace prefixes
> in the XML example given just above this paragraph?
>
> That is for example
>
>> 14 <video src="rtsp://videoserver.tvchannel.com/livenews.rm"
>  > begin="wallclock(20:00:00)" dur="60:00" title="News">
>
> should read begin="Wallclock:wallclock(20:00:00)"
>
> and
>
>> 20       <video src="./series/coronationAv/chapter20.rm"
>> clipBegin="5:00" clipEnd="65:00" title="Coronation Avenue" >
>
> should read MediaClipping:clipBegin="5:00"

Hi Philipp, thank you for your comment.

One of the Last Call comments that the SYMM working group received was
that SMIL uses too many namespaces [1].  The working group resolved the
issue  by only using a single namespace [2].  The upshot of this is that
all SMIL elements and attributes are in one and the same namespace,
whether or not the profile includes a particular module.  The
systemRequired test attribute needs a namespace prefix to refer to a
feature (module) identifier (in the form of an IRI) so that it can test
for the feature's presence.  This means that the module namespace must
be declared in the scope of the systemRequired attribute, but it is the
only reason for declaring the module namespace.    Once a player knows
(by virtue of the systemRequired attribute) that a particular module is
included, it does not need any namespaced attribute or attribute value
(or element for that matter) to recognize the feature.  In fact, there
is no such thing as a module namespace, the namespace syntax is only
used to refer to a module identifier.

I hope you are satisfied with this answer (but please tell us whether or
not you are).

On behalf of the SYMM working group,
Sjoerd Mullender

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-smil/2007JulSep/0060.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-smil/2007OctDec/0069.html

PS, David and Xabiel, could you please undo this change in the Tiny Profile?

--
Sjoerd Mullender