Re: References to SMIL 2.1 in SVG 1.2

* Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
>There shouldn't be one. SMIL 2.0 2E is the end of the line for 2.0.
>SMIL 2.1 takes over from here. That was what the SYMM WG committed to.

The Process document expects the Working Group to publish a Third
Edition should there be errors in the document (and there are.)
SMIL 2.1 cannot "take over" as it normatively depends on SMIL 2.0.

>"Latest version" is an ambiguous phrase when there are multiple versions
>of a technology at various maturity levels all co-existing. We are
>working to disambiguate the phrase.

The "Latest version" link in W3C Technical Reports was not ambiguous,
it meant the latest version of the document. This meaning should be
restored and facilities such as "Latest SMIL 2 version" and "Latest
SMIL Recommendation" should be strikken as those are moving targets
and, as you point out, referring to a moving target is almost always
problematic and should thus not be encouraged. Referring to the latest
version of a document such as SMIL 2.0 is not problematic as it is not
a moving target, such references are in fact very valuable as I've
pointed out.