Re: Difference between freeze and hold

Ramalingam G wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just been skimming through the SMIL 2.0 specification. I am still
> not clear about the difference between attribute values "freeze" and
> "hold".
>
> Can anyone explain to me the exact difference (in terms of behaviour), when
> the Fill attribute holds the value "freeze" and when the attribute value of
> Fill is "hold". It would be a great help.

There is only a difference if the parent time container is a seq or
excl.  There is no difference if the parent time container is a par.

fill="hold" means to freeze the element to the end of the parent time
container.  When the parent time container is a par, this is also until
when the element would be frozen with fill="freeze".  However, when the
parent time container is a seq or excl, the element is normally frozen
until the next element starts or the parent time container ends,
whichever comes first, but with fill="hold" you can specify that the
element should remain frozen even when the next sibling element starts
playing.

I hope this helps.

--
Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd@acm.org>