From: Patrick Schmitz [mailto:cogit@ludicrum.org]
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 9:21 AM
To: J.R. van Ossenbruggen
Subject: RE: SMIL and Javascript

I do this all the time, but not directly as coded.  I just put in a dummy
element with timing and then call script on the begin event. This does what
I need in all the cases I have seen. Since the timing must behave even if
the element is otherwise garbage, you are all set:

<ref begin="whatever you want" onbegin="callScript()"
  onend="foo='bar'; bar.backgroundColor='red';window.status='My script was
called';" />

The XHTML+SMIL profile dithered about actually placing timing on inline
script elements, mostly because of the confusion of parsing and execution
issues.  Since the workaround is so straight-forward, IE decided to bail on
that one and ignore timing on actual script elements.

Would this address the issue?

Patrick