Re: Fw: [Moderator Action] ZyX? HTML+TIME? OR SMIL

Can't help you on ZyX :)
For SMIL 2.0 there's 2 main players to choose from, RealONE which
supports SMIL 2.0 profile and
IE 6 for the HTML+SMIL profile. There's also the SMIL 2.0 Basic profile
which mobile phones will handle,
I'd like to see more info on that myself.

RealONE and IE 6 each have their own strength and weaknesses.

RealONE Pros:
-SMIL 2.0 is a W3C recommendation
-Open to new media formats
-Supports SVG via Adobe's SVG viewer
-Another player support the same profile, GRiNS 2.0 (oratrix.com)

RealONE Cons:
-Doesn't support HTML within the player
-If you want to use a nonproprietary text format,
 you'll need the Adobe SVG viewer and use SVG text.
-No Linux support for Adobe SVG viewer

IE 6 Pros:
-HTML+SMIL= a powerful platform, SMIL elements that don't overlap with
HTML functionality are
 added and SMIL's features timing, transitions, animation, HTML elements
inherit.

IE 6 Cons:
-The HTML+SMIL profile may only become a W3C note. Check the bottom of
W3C's Synchronized Multimedia
  Activity Statement page for the Reference.
  http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/Activity.html
-No other browser supports HTML+SMIL
-Not open to new media formats like Ogg audio (vorbis.com)

If you want an example of the same presentation (Los Angeles Gardens,
around 1.2MB prefetched) written in
SMIL 2.0 profile (RealONE):
http://www.geocities.com/ramirez_j2001/prefetch/prefetch_example/smil_prefetch_example.smil

and HTML+SMIL (IE 6, around 1.2MB preloaded):
http://www.geocities.com/ramirez_j2001/prefetch/prefetch_example/html_smil_example.html

In a zip file, if you want to download it:
http://www.geocities.com/ramirez_j2001/prefetch/prefetch_examples.zip

The file to open for the HTML+SMIL example is 'html_smil_example.html',
I use HTML frames to center the
presentation and to use absolute positioning for the images.

There's a quick summary, I hope that helps.
Jose Ramirez