Re: Captioning for the deaf

Ken Nuebler wrote:
>I am currently involved in working with the NC Div of Services for the Deaf
>and hard of hearing.  After reviewing Eduardo's example I was wondering if
>it was possible to have real time streaming video in one window and real
>time or chat type of captioning to the right of the video.  My basic
>question Is real time captioning possible yet?  Is anyone doing it.   Thanks
>in advance.
>
>This technology will really open up the world for the deaf and blind.

Yes, this is currently possible using RealText.  Doing closed captioning
is quite easy to do in RealText, especially if you are familiar with
basic HTML.  If you want to add closed captioning to pre-recorded,
on-demand video or audio, you can use a SMIL file containing the video
or audio URL played in parallel with a RealText file.  If you want
to add a live text track to a live video and/or audio track, you can do
so using Live RealText.
For more information on RealText, go to:
  http://service.real.com/help/library/guides/realtext/realtext.htm
(Live broadcasting of RealText is covered in Chapter 5.)

For more information on G2 players, servers, and tools, go to:
  http://www.real.com

	- Erik Hodge

P.S.: you may be interested in the WAI Interest Group
<w3c-wai-ig@w3.org> as they deal with accessibility issues such as
this.