Re: question: complex role inclusion axioms

On 27 Sep 2006, at 17:01, davide wrote:

> I have recently been looking in the literature for DLs enabling role
> hierarchies which include complex inclusion axioms such as, for
> instance:
> R \bullet S \sqsubseteq Q (the composition of R and S is a sub-role of
> Q).
>
> For DLs as expressive as Dynamic logic (or some relevant fragments)
> this shouldn't be anything problematic since such axioms seem to be
> translatable in  Dynamic logic. For instance:
> [Q]p \rightarrow [R][S]p
>
> Is this a correct intuition? Are there any references systematically
> adressing the issue of complex role inclusions?
> Thanks a lot for your attention.

Check out [1] and [2]. You will see that while it is possible to
support such axioms, some restrictions are needed if decidability is to
be maintained. (Sorry for the self citations, but you did ask :-).) The
OWL 1.1 proposal [3] extends OWL to include such axioms (amongst other
added features). OWL 1.1 versions of Protege and FaCT++ are currently
in beta, and will be demonstrated at the  OWL: Experiences and
Directions workshop (at ISWC); I believe that other tools (e.g., Pellet
and Swoop) will soon follow.

Ian

[1] Ian Horrocks and Ulrike Sattler. Decidability of SHIQ with complex
role inclusion axioms. Artificial Intelligence, 160(1-2):79-104,
December 2004.
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/Publications/download/2004/
HoSa04a.pdf

[2] Ian Horrocks, Oliver Kutz, and Ulrike Sattler. The even more
irresistible SROIQ. In Proc. of the 10th Int. Conf. on Principles of
Knowledge Representation and Reasoning (KR 2006), pages 57-67. AAAI
Press, 2006.
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/Publications/download/2006/
HoKS06a.pdf

[3] http://owl-workshop.man.ac.uk/OWLWorkshop06.html