Re: specification of your rules candidate

Hi Peter, all,

Since this issue might be of more general interest, I am CCing the
www-rdf-logic list.
To give a context of this email:
Peter asked me whether there is a formal syntax and semantics for
WSML-Rule on the basis of my presentation of WSML-Rule at the W3C rules
workshop.

The syntax and semantics of WSML-Rule is defined in the WSML
specification, which can be found at: http://www.wsmo.org/TR/d16/d16.1/v0.2/

The conceptual syntax is defined in Chapter 2; the logical expression
syntax for WSML-Rule is defined in Chapter 6; the semantics is defined
in Chapter 8. We have defined the semantics in terms of the perfect
model semantics, because there was no consensus on the semantics of
unstratified programs. However, we seem to converge now to the
well-founded semantics, so that the next version of WSML-Rule will most
likely use the well-founded semantics. Note that for locally stratified
programs, the perfect model semantics and well-founded semantics coincide.

Best, Jos

Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> Hi:

> Interoperability you indicated that there was either 1/ an adequate
> definition of your candidate rule formalism for me to produce an
> implementation of it that would fully interoperate with a reference
> implementation or 2/ a full definition of both the syntax and semantics of
> your candidate.  I would greatly appreciate a pointer to this definition.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Peter F. Patel-Schneider
> Bell Labs Research
>
> PS: Although this is a private email, feel free to reply in a public forum.

- --
Jos de Bruijn, http://www.uibk.ac.at/~c703239/
+43 512 507 6475         jos.debruijn@deri.org

DERI                      http://www.deri.org/

All generalizations are false, including this
one.
  -- Mark Twain