Re: OWL / deductive database logics

Hi Bob --

At 07:37 AM 5/15/04 -0700, you wrote:
>I think its a shame that OWL has forced things down a path that
>is incompatible with deductive database logics, and would like to see an
>alternative growth path.

You may be interested in the following ....

It's called Internet Business Logic.  The commercial-sounding name
notwithstanding, there is a theory foundation (refereed papers) and an
implemented system (free for academic use).

It's live, online at www.reengineeringllc.com , where you will also find
some presentations and pointers to the papers.

In particular, the "Semantic Web Presentation" argues that (lightweight)
English language processing. combined with heavyweight inferencing, is
essential if anyone is to trust the SW with real world tasks.

The author- and user-interface for the system is simply a browser.  When
needed, the system automatically generates and runs SQL queries and
transactions over networked RDBMSs.  However, the language is more powerful
than SQL -- e.g. it has safe recursion.

There are a number of ontology examples that you can view and run.
(RDFQueryLangComparison1 might be a good one to start with.)  You can also
write and run your own examples.

HTH.  Thanks in advance for comments.   -- Adrian

                                            INTERNET BUSINESS LOGIC

                                              www.reengineeringllc.com

Dr. Adrian Walker
Reengineering LLC