Re: Some questions about the exact meanings

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 01:09:29PM -0400, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> From: Chris Menzel <cmenzel@tamu.edu>
> Subject: Re: Some questions about the exact meanings
> Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:51:03 -0500

> > > ...the answer is <=>.  OWL generally takes an extensional stance
> > > on such questions.  If the conditions for some characteristic
> > > hold, then the characteristic holds.
> >
> > I think that's just Tanel's question, though.
>
> I thought that his question was which stance OWL took.

It appears it was.  I read too much into "_right_".

> > Do you really want "Loves", say, to be classified as a symmetric
> > relation if it just happens to turn out in one's domain that all
> > love is requited?
> >
> Well, yes...

Fine.  The issue, as you are aware, is just whether properties like
symmetry should only indicate something contingent about a relation's
extension or something stronger about its "nature".  Either view can be
useful.

Chris Menzel