RE: Semantic languages and rules

Hi

Well from my experience, I found that a parser is useful only to get at the
syntactic structure of a knowledge base (assuming that we are referring to
this as being an ontology of facts). What one requires is an inference
engine. This is most important when using semantic languages since they can
exploit the full potential of such languages. An inference engine will
probably be given a knowledge base of facts which is parsed and from which
new facts can be inferred. Hence such an engine will definitely make use of
a parser internally (an RDF parser if one is speaking about RDF based
languages such as DAML+OIL and DAML-S) and it can also have a query
mechanism. When can find several inference engines for DAML+OIL but none are
really available for DAML-S, since the DAML-S ontologies are nothing more
then DAML+OIL ontologies defining services. Nonetheless if one wants to
exploit DAML-S to the full one has to use/augment such an engine to handle
the DAML-S constructs. One such engine that I used is an FOL reasoner called
JTP (Java Theorem Prover) from Stanford university (even though one ahs to
use a DL based engine since FOL has some drawbacks as regards such semantic
languages).

Regards

Charlie

Charlie Abela