Re: DAML: restricting number of elements in a list

On February 11, Andrei S. Lopatenko writes:

> Would it be a right way
>    create class
> VertexInPoligon  subClassOf Vertex
> with   property connectsTo   - range VertexInPoligon
> So we can create an ordered list of Vertexes
> Then class Polygon also has property connectsTo which points to the first
> vertex in ordered list of vertexes for polygon
> Property connectsTo must be transitive
> And for class Polygon mincardinality of connectsTo is three.
> So an ORDERED list of vertexes is supported and cardinality is supported as
> well
>
> The only problem in such schema one VertexInPoligon can connects to a few
> other Vertexes. Due to transitivety of property it would be wrong to say
> maxcardinality connectsTo is one for VertexInPoligon
> As far as I understand due to transitivity of connectsTo it is imposible to
> request to which VertexInPolygon Polygon connects first. But taking all
> Vertexes of given polynom and relation connectsTo between them such order
> can be easily reconstructed assuming that there no cycles and wrong
> assertation which are not really prohibit in this schema

Your solution is essentially to build your own list using DAML+OIL
constructs. This is possible, but I think that the best way is to
define a non transitive "next" property. If you want to get at the
whole list you can also define a transitive super-property called,
say, "rest". You can't, however, use transitive properties in
cardinality restrictions (see "small print" in language spec - this
leads to undecidability) so to impose the min 3 constraints you should
simply use a hasClass restriction of the form:

(restriction on next hasClass (restriction on next hasClass
(restriction on next hasClass VertexInPoligon)))

Note that next should be a unique (functional) property in order to
make sure that it is a list and not a tree.

Ian