Re: Semantics, in particular DAML+OIL semantics

On August 19, R.V.Guha writes:

> Ian,
>
>  I hope I am not pulling this too much out of context ... but you seem
> to be implying that somehow an implementation may or may or match up to
> the semantics? If so, what is the point of the semantics in a practical
> sense?

Even when an implementation is based on a "correct" algorithm, the
implementation itself may introduce errors. It is also possible that
some implementors will deliberately or accidentally sacrifice
completeness, and perhaps even soundness, for whatever reason - there
isn't much we can do about that. These cases only seem to highlight
the need for a clear specification of what it means to be correct.

>  On a more general note, I've been wondering about the complexity issues
> involved on the SW. Even with the comparatively more tractable
> computation afforded by DLs (as compared to FOL), we are still dealing
> with algorithms that are far from sub-linear. And with millions of
> axioms distributed around the web, I doubt there is any chance of
> providing complete inference for the SW ... I'd like to hear your
> opinion on this.

It isn't clear that computation w.r.t. the whole web will be feasible
via whatever mechanism. Fortunately, many applications will only need
to compute w.r.t. a very small subset of the total content of the web.

Ian