Re: DAML+OIL semantics

Peter,

Please see further comments and questions below,

which end with a line of ############################################

Thanks,

Jim

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> From: Jim Farrugia <jim@spatial.maine.edu>
> Subject: DAML+OIL semantics
> Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 12:58:41 -0400 (EDT)
>
> > I have some questions about the semantics of DAML+OIL, and I'm wondering
> > if this list is the appropriate place to post them.
>
> Spot on.
>
> > In a nutshell, the questions are:
> >
> > 1. how to understand what it is that each kind of semantics
> > (axiomatic and model-theoretic) gives us, and why a developer would
> > choose to use one kind of semantics rather than the other?
>
> Well, a semantics for a representation language or logic should provide
> meaning for the language.  Different kinds of semantics provide this
> meaning in different ways.

So far, so good.

> Model-theoretic semantics map the constructs of the language into
> (hopefully) simple constructs (such as sets).  From this, generally,
> notions of satisfaction and entailment are constructed.  Then properties of
> entailment can be determined and used to build an implementation of the
> language.

OK, with three questions for this part.

When you say 'entailment' do you mean what others (e.g., Ebbinghaus,
Flum, and Thomas, 2nd ed., 1994) mean by 'consequence' (p. 33, 34),
where they say that a formula X is a consequence of a set
of formulas Y iff every interpretation that is a model of the set of
formulas Y is also a model of the formula X?

Isn't this notion the same as what you refer to below as 'logical
consequence'?

I'm not sure I understand your last sentence above about building
an implementation of the language. Can you sketch out how
properties of entailment enable this is done?

> Proof-theoretic semantics provide rules for determining inference in the
> language.  These rules can then either be directly implemented or used to
> build an implementation of the language.  It is very unlikely that a useful
> implementation can be directly taken from a proof theory unless the proof
> theory was specially designed for this purpose.

So, given that a semantics for a representation language should provide
meaning for that language, does it make sense to say that the meaning
a proof-theoretic semantics provides for a languages is just the
set of rules that govern inference in the language?

By 'proof-theoretic semantics' are you talking about what DAML+OIL
calls 'axiomatic semantics'?  It doesn't seem so, since the
presentation of the axiomatic semantics for DAML+OIL says:

	This document provides an axiomatization for the Resource
	Description Framework (RDF), RDF Schema (RDF-S), and DAML+OIL
	by specifying a mapping of a set of descriptions in any one
	of these languages into a logical theory expressed in
	first-order predicate calculus.

	The basic claim of this paper is that the logical theory
	produced by the mapping specified herein of a set of such
	descriptions is logically equivalent to the intended meaning
	of that set of descriptions.

(http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/dlm/daml-semantics/daml+oil-axioms-october2001.htm)

These remarks seem to be claiming more for this axiomatic semantics
than what you say a proof-theoretic semantics provides.

In particular, the above statement suggests that the axiomatic semantics
(the logical theory produced by the mapping) is trying to capture
the _intended meaning_ of descriptions in RDF/S and DAML+OIL.
Such a claim seems to go over and above providing rules for determining
inference in the language. ??

Further, given what you say below about logical equivalence,
I don't see how/why it makes sense to say, as is done in the
basic claim quoted above, that the logical theory produced
by the mapping can be logically equivalent to an intended meaning. ??

If the axiomatic semantics doesn't use the model-theoretic
notions of truth and interpretation, then (again, considering
the characterization you give below of logical equivalence)
in what way is it proper to talk about the logical equivalence
of a logical theory with something else?  And could this something
else ever be an intended interpretation?

I'll stop this set of questions here, and continue later with others.

Thanks very much for your detailed answers.

Jim