Re: Mapping of DAML+OIL onto DB

At 3:52 PM -0600 4/3/02, Hector Ceballos wrote:
>You're mentioning initiatives and works for mapping ontologies in databases,
>but is there any initiative for especifying in certain way a relationship
>between classes/properties and objects stored in a database? This way,
>ontologies would remain at web but instances could be stored locally and
>accesible through intelligent agents or other kind of services.
>Probably it's not related with original question, but I'd like to know if
>exist something like this.
>
>Greetings
>Hector G. Ceballos

We've done exactly that with the Parka-DB system (soon to be released
as an RDF triple store, pending some code fixes).  A paper describing
this work which was deployed at Johns Hopkins Hospital was published
as
  K. Stoffel and J. Hendler,
  Back-End technology for High Performance Knowledge Representation
Systems, IEEE Intelligent Systems, May, 1999

a preprint version of the paper is available on the web at
  http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler/2002/parka-IEEE.pdf

  -Jim H.

AV Williams Building, Univ of Maryland		  College Park, MD 20742
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler