Re: SW, meaning and reference

If I understand this debate so far, a putative "theory of reference" would
provide a framework through which an arbitrary community (without
predefined bounds or membership) would have each of its members associate
the same concept with every name that is used in communications between
themselves.

This is tough.  Thus, model theory looks for truths that can be asserted
independently of a theory of reference.

OK so far?

If so, is it reasonable/useful to think about a partial theory of reference
which sets out some properties of the relationship between a name and the
concept(s) it denotes in a Web context, without attempting to define how an
actual relationship is determined?

I am thinking that such a partial theory might, for example, describe
properties of such relationships in a Web/Internet environment, maybe
capturing ideas like:
   What are the observable properties of a "resource"
   What can be said about the relationship between a URI and "resource"
   What, if anything, is the difference between a "resource" as used by
     RDF and a resource as used by the Web in general
     (esp w.r.t. fragment identifiers)
   Certain operations, such as HTTP GET, do not have side effects
   Other operations may have side effects;  characterization of such

#g
--

Graham Klyne
GK@NineByNine.org