RE: Literals (Re: model theory for RDF/S)

You're right. I got it backwards. Thanks alot for pointing that out.

If I understand you, a specific RDF Schema (or collection of
collaborative schemas) is the "program" which defines the strong data
typing -- but (presumably) if and only if for every property that
can take a literal value there is defined one and only one range
and that range defines the type of the property and all values
the property can take. Once you allow multiple ranges, or fail
to define a range for a property, you lose your strong data typing,
right?

And, insofar as the standardized mechanisms are concerned, RDF literals
in their minimal representation (as the immediate values of a property)
and in the absence of any RDF schema defining ranges of properties,
are "untyped" (or at best, corresponding to the type 'sequence of Unicode
values'), as they neither carry their type information with them, either
by qualified anonymous node or schema defined range.

To that end, RDF in essence allows strongly typed, weakly typed, and
untyped property/value pairs all in the same knowledge base, depending
on the mechanisms used for the particular property/value pairs in
question.

Thus, it's a matter of perspective and level/scope as to whether one can
call a given RDF application strongly or weakly typed. Eh?

Cheers,

Patrick

--
Patrick Stickler                      Phone:  +358 3 356 0209
Senior Research Scientist             Mobile: +358 50 483 9453