RE:[semantic web] proof and trust

In [1][2] a logic framework LF language is used to encode security and
safety logics. I'm not a logician. However, I do understand SpeaksFor and
Says relationships ala SPKI.   I don't believe I truely appreciate the
logicians approach taken by [1]. There are implementations of SPKI [3] and
SPKI authorization computation engine [4] implemented in procedural
languages (Java, C). Proofs expressed in LF appear to be equally difficult
to read/program as those expressed in a procedural language. Why would a
domain expert/security expert choose to express proofs/rules in a logic
language vs. procedural - aside from style preferences?

I understand DAML+OIL accommodates inference, but I don't believe it
specifically addresses SpeaksFor and Says. [1] suggests that these logical
constructs are elements of an application logic rather than a core (more
primitive) logic. WOW-G is chartered to develop a language for
defining/building ontologies. To what extent should DAML be enabled to
describe security logics - specifically referring to core logic in [1]?
Note: I draw a distinction between security logics as described in [1] and
security ontology as described in [5] even though both might be expressed in
the same language (e.g. DAML). It may be incorrect for me to draw such a
distinction, but as I said I'm not a logician.

[1] A Proof-Carrying Authorization System. Lujo Bauer,
                  Michael A. Schneider, and Edward W. Felten. Technical
                  report CS-TR-638-01, Department of Computer Science,
                  Princeton University, April 2001.
   http://ncstrl.cs.princeton.edu/expand.php?id=TR-638-01

[2] Proof Carrying Code, Peter Lee CMU
	http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~petel/papers/pcc/pcc.htm

[3] HP Espeak http://www.espeak.com

[4] Common Data Security Architecture (CDSA), AuthCompute Module.
http://www.opengroup.org

[5] A Delegation-based Distributed Trust Model for Multi-Agent Systems,
Lalana Kagal et.al., University of Maryland. mailto:lkagal1@cs.umbc.edu

Ned M. Smith
Intel Architecture Labs          Phone: 503.264.2692
2111 N.E. 25th Ave               Fax: 503.264.6225
Hillsoboro OR. 97124            mailto:ned.smith@intel.com