Re: DAML+OIL restriction question.

"Holmes III, William S" wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> In the property restriction section of the DAML+OIL walk through
> (http://www.daml.org/2000/12/daml+oil-walkthru.html#restrictions),
> it states that the following syntax is always used:

Always? Does it really? No... perhaps this is a bit unclear:

	The syntax used here is a cliche,
	i.e., it is always used as shown,

But it just says that this syntax always has the relvant
semantics; not that the relevant semantics are always
expressed with this syntax.

>   <restrictedBy>
>     <Restriction>
>       <onProperty rdf:resource="#parent"/>
>       <toClass rdf:resource="#Person"/>
>     </Restriction>
>   </restrictedBy>
>
> Using the "Person/parent" example, can't the same thing be said with the
> following syntax using generated references? :
>
> <rdfs:Class rdf:ID="Person">
>   <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="#Animal"/>
>   <restrictedBy rdf:resource="#A1" />
> </rdfs:Class>
>
> <Restriction rdf:ID="A1">
>   <onProperty rdf:resource="#parent"/>
>   <toClass rdf:resource="#Person"/>
> </Restriction>

Yes, that's a perfectly reasonable equivalent, as long as you
don't mind making up the name A1.