Re: Reification

> At 10:42 PM 4/6/01 +0100, jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com wrote:
> >ps you seem to have some interesting points about negation, but I have
> >    to re-read them (as I was close to the belief that open-world-negation
> >    was impossible)
>
> Until this, I never got any sense that open world negation was
> impossible.  Rather that it always brought the possibility of contradictory
> or inconsistent expression.  If I get this right, closed worlds have a
> possibility of setting rules on "valid" expressions such that no two such
> "valid" expressions are contradictory.

It's at least hard to implement ...
I did another attemp at http://www.agfa.com/w3c/euler/ with an N3 statement
  statement a log:Falsehood.
which is actually a unary predicate
So if we assert p a log:Falsehood (to be true) then p is false
and if we found p a log:Falsehood to be false then p is true.
That should fit with Prolog like Robinson resolution theorem proofing ...

> Refering to the 1-pager on formal systems that Dan cited a while ago:
>
> [[[
> % Formal Systems - Definitions
> % (from Ruth E. Davis, Truth, Deduction, and Computation.
> % New York: Computer Science press, 1989.)
> %
> http://www-rci.rutgers.edu/~cfs/305_html/Deduction/FormalSystemDefs.html
> % (c) Charles F. Schmidt
> % Last Modified: Saturday, May 08, 1999 9:07:08 PM GMT
>]]]

thanks for that pointer!
if you refer to DanC's explanation during the RDF-IF F2F meeting last
february, then I think it was some other stuff he mentioned ...
at least he spoke about:
  term
  atom
  formula
  object
  model
Dan, any pointer?

> I think this view of a "closed world" might be similar to a "theory".

have to think about that