Re: Logic and Using The Semantic Web Toolbox

Pat

pat hayes wrote:
> I understood that the central role of
> reification in RDF arose from a perception that such importation of
> external concepts was going to be done by the use of reification
> itself: that reification provided some kind of general-purpose
> mechanism for semantic extensibility.

This is not the case. Who gave you that idea? (or maybe I just do not
understand what you mean :-).

> If this is not the case, there
> seems to be little reason to have it in the language (?).

We did have (and still do) applications which need reification, given
that it is the only vehicle we have (in RDF) that allows us to
distinguish between something been asserted about an object vs.
something been asserted about a statement.

	- Ora

--
Ora Lassila <daml@lassila.org> +1 (781) 993-4603