RE: Logic and Using The Semantic Web Toolbox

From: "McBride, Brian" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Subject: RE: Logic and Using The Semantic Web Toolbox
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 07:41:54 -0000

> RDF is just a data model.  It has no way to 'assert' anything on its
> own.  Either it must be revisited, or mechanisms for that are the province
> of the logic layer.
>
> Brian McBride
> HPLabs.

Hear, hear.

Further, RDF and RDF Schema have associated intended meanings that are not
in line with their actual status as data models.  (By ``intended meanings''
I am refering to the meaning that is invoked by the expository wording in
the RDF and RDF Schema documents as well as the names associated with the
RDF and RDF Schema built-in objects.)  In my opinion, it is this mismatch
that is driving most of the discussion on the RDF mailing lists.

It may be time for a ``modest proposal'' for a solution to the RDF problem.

Peter Patel-Schneider