RE: SemWeb Non-Starter -- Distributed URI Discovery

I actually think there is no difference either way.  Just because URL
has a hash does not mean it is HTTP retrievable, or that the hash points
to an anchor that is an RDF description.  In fact, I bet the vast
majority of URLs with hashes do *not* contain RDF descriptions at the
hash.

By the same token, it is perfectly plausible for a slash URL to return
an RDF description of the resource.

Description of
> that URI.  And this is a serious impediment to the Semantic Web.
>
> "hashing" at least gets you part of the way because -- given an HTTP
URI
> containing a hash and frag ID -- it is *likely* that one can
dereference
> the URI into a document containing (amongst other things) an RDF
> description of the URI in question.
>
> For example, if I encounter the URI
>
> http://www.somemediacompany.com/rdfdata/music/classical#resource
>
> chances are I can dereference
> "http://www.somemediacompany.com/rdfdata/music/classical" and find
within
> that document an RDF description of "#resource".
>
> If, one the other hand, I encounter
>
> http://www.somemediacompany.com/rdfdata/music/classical/resource
>
> then I can't make any assumptions about whether or not this URI refers
> some sort of document containing an RDF description of "resource".
The
> URI owner may just have chosen to mint URIs using some logical
hierarchy.

> So, given an arbitrary URI, how can I obtain an RDF Description of
that
> URI?
>
> I suppose I could crawl the domain "containing" the URI with a spider
and
> harvest RDF data until I find the description I'm looking for, but
that's
> a bit of a mess.  And it certainly doesn't scale.
>
> I read up a bit on SPARQL -- particularly the "SPARQL Protocol for
RDF" --