Re: Request about the new list

Hi

(sorry for the delay; I missed this initial message)

* John Fletcher <J.P.Fletcher@aston.ac.uk> [2005-02-04 16:22-0000]

> It would be very helpful for me if the new list did not have the string
>
> [SWIG] or [Swig]
>
> at the start of each header, as that would make it difficult to
> distinguish from
>
> [Swig]
>
> which is what the other SWIG uses. (swig@cs.uchicago.edu)

I've no plans to do either, since (as far as I can tell) this
isn't a facility offered by the mailing list software W3C runs.

> It would be helpful if there was something as a reference at the
> start of each header, as is done by many other groups I belong to.
> This makes it easier to sort the messages out.

It may not be obvious in some mail readers, but this (and other)
information is already supplied in the headers to each message.
For example, all posts to www-rdf-interest include the following
headers, which indicate that this is a mailing list (useful for
'vacation' message software), which list it is, unsubscription
and other documentation.

Most modern mail software should be able to filter on these.
If anyone has an appropriate howto on this for popular
mail readers (eg. Outlook) I'd be happy to link it from the Interest
Group home page...

cheers,

Dan