Re: Does it matter? (was Re: .rdf file extension security?)

Thanks again,

What I've decided to do for now is to create a "proper" .rdf extension and
MIME type. If the user chooses to use the RDF label generator's FTP actions
then all well and good. If a .rdf file is rejected (and that's true of
uk.geocities.com servers for instance) or if the file is uploaded
successfully but can't be retrieved with an HTTP request (true of IIS in
default configuration), then the system tries with a .xml file and MIME
type.

If the user chooses a manual upload then I give them .rdf and (when I've
written them will) give them instructions on what to do.

(See www.icra.org/RDF/label/generator/ if interested. Currently in beta
stage)

Yes, it's an easy thing to configure your server to handle RDF if you know
what you're doing. But, if you're a hobby webmaster or someone who creates
web pages without knowing anything about something as exotic as HTML (and
that's a lot of webmasters!) then it would be a huge block on take-up of
self-labelling for child protection or any other reason if such
configuration were an absolute requirement.

The tool/filters that will look for the data will take a similarly open view
with an "if at first you don't succeed looking for .rdf, try looking for any
old XML instead approach."

Phil.