RE: web proper names

According to the latest URI draft:
"A URI provides a simple and extensible means for identifying a resource"
And under resources: "the term "resource" is used in a general sense for
whatever might be identified by a URI. Familiar examples include an
electronic document, an image...a resource iis not necessarily accesible via the Internet; e.g.,
human beings, corporations, and bound books in a library can also be
resources."

All we propose in Web Proper Names is that there is a distinction between:
1) A Representation
2) The Thing Represented (which we call its denotation or referent).

The full paper is at:
http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ht/webpropernames/

Which is already noted by URI and TAG, otherwise they wouldn't feel the
need to mention these *both* explicitly as "resources".

I do think that this is a useful and needed distinction in Web architecture,
including RDF. Often the line between a representation and what is represented
 can be blurry, but often it can be quite clear, as in when are  using a
URI to denote a representation that is intrinsically accessible to the
Internet (such as web-page, electronic documents, "information resource"
accoding to TimBL) or when we are using a URI to denote something not
 accessible on the Internet as a representation  (the Eiffel Tower itself,
bound books, the idea of a human being).

Yes, a resource can be anything, thus a URI can identify *anything*, but
it would be useful to be able to distinguish explicitly between these
two types of things (for example, in our previous example, while a human
could read the comments in a RDF Schema or the Dublin Core documentation
to know the correct use of "creator", a machine could not).

Our proposal builds without any problems on current web use and is not
dependent on RDF, the Semantic Web in general, or the TAG. It takes
something people do everyday - using search engines to find information
about things that are spread throughout multiple represenations - and
allows users to produce a subjective and useful canonical resource for
that information. This can be accomplished through using a wpn::
URI scheme (As Larry Masinster has also suggested, albeit with less
context) or with using the Expanded Web Proper Name idea to make such
a canoncial document accesible via the http: scheme. So you can specify a
thing like Henry Thompson by saying:
wpn://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/WPN/HenrySThompson?
terms=Henry\%20S.\%20Thompson\& ln=en\&se=www.google.com\&dt=2004-05-21\&
rc=17\&tc=5\&cc=5\&pc=87

Or you can make a canonical web-page for something like the Eiffel Tower
http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin/webpropernames/standard/eiffeltower-rddl.html
Schema, XSL, and a Mozilla plug-in are underway if your interested. E-mail
me if so and I'll e-mail you when the first beta is out (in a month or
so).

The Semantic Web here, as noticed by many doing Web Standards with a
background of AI from Pat Hayes to Henry Thompson, is treading on ground
already treaded on by a good hundred years of work in philosophy and
decades of work in AI.

Ignorance of these issues led to a serious collapse in AI research a few
decades back. We, as does everyone here we assume, want the Web and
initiatives like the Semantic Web to succeed. This is just our
contribution on this issue.  Other solutions proposed by  Jon (adding a
way to describe resources relating resources) and Henry (the refers/about
distinction, which TopicMaps uses I might add) are not necessarily in
conflict, and I am happy to see people thinking about this distinctions,
as they have come up in my own Semantic Web work.  I also implore people to think
of useful solutions that are easily implemented, and constructive
feedback on Web Proper Names is appreciated. If you do not feel this is
a problem, life will go on - but let us that do work on it.

				-Harry