Re: .rdf extension on non-RDF CVS log files?

Dan Brickley wrote:
> That's an oddity of CVSWeb. You're looking at a generated HTML page that
> is _about_ some (yes, typically W3C RDF/XML) document that's in a CVS
> repository. If you hit the 'revision 1.1' or whatever link, you'll get
> an HTMLization of the content, plus navbar stuff. If you hit download,
> you'll get the actual RDF.
> In fact CVSWeb isn't doing anything wrong, assuming they're sending
> correct content-type headers. People can choose to end their URIs in
> whatever characters they prefer. But it is a little counter-intuitive.

<garment webArchNitpickHat="on" speechAct:tongueInCheekFactor="quite">

In fact, it makes a lot of sense, since although the URI

http://cvs2.oeone.com/index.cgi/penzilla3/apps/appliancemanagement/content/contents.rdf

could represent anything, intuitively it represents "the file
apps/appliancemanagement/content/contents.rdf in the repository
penzilla3" (a digital resource), and giving a list of revisions of the
file seems like a perfectly reasonable representation of such a
resource. Even with digital resources, representations do not have to be
instances (copies) of (a version of) the resource; they can be anything
the authority (web space owner) likes, and this particular type of
representation seems perfectly useful.

</garment>

(Leo Sauermann will get a fit if he reads it about people who solve
theoretical problems instead of writing real code. But I think it's fun.
;-))

- Benja