Re: EE Times - Sony lab tips 'emergent semantics' to make sense of Web

Frank van Harmelen wrote:

> I agree. Another way of saying this is that the Sony text confuses a
> *goal* (Semantic Web) with a *method* to achieve the goal (emergent
> semantics, according to them).
>
> I would think that nobody in the Semantic Web community claims that
> there is only one way of achieving the goal: handcrafted explicit
> symbolic representations are one way, emergent semantics might well be
> another.
>
> So instead of saying:
> "emergent semantics as an alternative to the W3C's Semantic Web"
> they should have said
> "emergent semantics as an alternative *approach* to the W3C's Semantic Web"

"emergent semantics is one of the (many) ways of achieving the goals of the W3C's Semantic
Web". I just fail to see why it would be an alternative to anything...:-) I actually
appload the sony technology (if it works, that is;-) as a possible and interesting way to
build ontologies (or simply metadata) that can be used by the SW... The rest is marketing
rubbish imho.

> (and even then it is debatable how "alternative" it is, given that lots
> of existing work is quite in the spirit of "emergent semantics").

exactly

--

Ivan Herman
W3C Communications Team, Head of Offices