edge-Node-edge relationship construct (was: RE: Placing a comment on a relationship?!)

----( SNIP )------------

> Anyway, my point is that this solution only seems to be
> useful for "in-memory" code, rather than the general case.

The solution I described doesn't rely on any state outside the
graph; in my case I persist completely as NTriples.

What I do - and what I think Graham Klyne was describing,
though I haven't followed his citations yet - is to bulk up
certain node relationships by representing them not as

    Subject  predicate  Object  .

but as

    Subject  predicate'  Intermediate  .
    Intermediate  predicate'  Object  .

The upside is that you can refer to this edge-analogue
(instance) by ID, and you can attach additional edges to it.

The downside is that you add some complexity to the graph (as
do all the solutions that have been discussed on this thread).
It doesn't use anything non-RDF; it does use a simple but not
quite trivial graph idiom. I edit my graph with Protege all
the time; it's just that the edge-IntermediateNode-edge
construct is visible and must at times be manipulated
explicitly.

This pattern works well in the class library case because
it's so easy to do the interpretation of the idiomatic
construct in the API, by exposing instances simultaneously as
IGraphEdge and IGraphNode (or whatever).

Regards,
Mike