Re: named graphs

On Apr 30, 2004, at 14:43, ext Chris Bizer wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>

>> I'm getting to the point where I need to start including provenance
>> information in response to queries. I was wondering where the whole
>> standardisation process is wrt named graphs.
>>
>> - Does the trix proposal represent current thinking in this field?
>>

> The current status quo of the trix work is described in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2004Apr/att-0081/PID-
> FAFPGYHS-1081860211.pdf
>
> Beside of TriX, there is also a N3-like syntax for Named Graphs called
> TriG,
> see:
> http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/TriG/
>
>>    - e.g. is the standardised model likely to be radically different
>>    to its multiple closed-graphs approach?
>>
>> - Are there any triple stores that support the notion of named
>> graphs internally? (i.e through the api)
>>

> There are no implementations yet, but it is planned to implement Named
> Graphs as an extension to Jena 2 (Jeremy is to one to ask about details
> here).

RDF Gateway by Intellidimension (http://www.intellidimension.com) has
native
support for "contexts" which could be easily used to implement named
graphs
(since a named graph is just as easily modeled as a context). The query
language then provides native support for context-specific statements,
as well as context-specific security/access control.

>> - Has there been any work on query languages supporting querying
>> across graphs?
>>
>> e.g.
>> select ?foo, ?bah
>> where (...)

Again, the query language provided with RDF Gateway provides for
exactly this kind of multi-graph queries.

What would be nice to see (and necessary in the long run IMO) would
be a means to specify the target graphs by a sub-query. I.e.

select ?foo, ?bah
from ?graph
where (?graph rdf:type my:TrustedGraph)
and (...)

etc.

> There are two query languages for Named Graphs RDFQ and TriQL
> http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/TriQL/  (Both not
> implemented yet)
>
> I guess Jeremy, Pat and Patrick might also answer later ...

RDFQ has been a useful "thought experiment" that I would like to have
seen reach a higher stage of maturity in the implementation, but further
development is at the moment, and probably for the summer, "on ice".

Cheers,

Patrick

--

Patrick Stickler