Re: On rdf:parseType non-qualified values. DAML+OIL annotation on the same subject.

The RDF Core WG did consider whether parseType could be a true extension
point, but couldn't get it to work. Hence, we effectively deprecated the
suggestions in RDF Model & Syntax that this was an extension point, and
migrated the "daml:collection" parse type (which was the only use of the
extension point that we were aware of) into the main syntax, as
parseType="Collection".

Technically the problem is that how does a conformant parser know what
to do with an unknown parseType. This production:

http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#parseTypeOtherPropertyElt

was what we ended up with, treating any private extended use of this as
parseType="Literal"

The recently publish Quality Assurance Specification Guidelines WD has
some relevant comment:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-qaframe-spec-20040602/#extensions

particularly
[[
Prevent extensions from breaking conformance

Extensions must not contradict or negate conformance to the
specification. If it conformed without the extension, conformance should
hold true with the extension.
]]
our experience was that daml:collection did not fit with such a
principle, this led to dropping parseType as an extensibility point.

Once we had decided that it was not an extensibility point then the
argument to permit URIs or qnames as the parseType is moot.

I note that you made this as a formal comment; unfortunately the WG has
now closed, meaning that you are unlikely to get a formal reply any time
soon. I guess it would be helpful that if you find this informal reply
adequately addresses your comment, that you say so, and we could mark
the comment as closed.

Jeremy