Re: [semanticweb] Re: A discussion: Is semantic web an old fashioned idea?Is it bubble,unworthy or an interesting researcharea

Jean-Luc,

Thanks for triggering this discussion.  You have winkled many good SW
people out of their comfortable shells, and into the open. (:-)  In this
way, I believe you have helped them, and many other people. to sift through
the good, bad and ugly aspects.  Your opening was abrasive, but perhaps it
had to be to get the intended effect.

At 12:14 PM 6/18/04 +0200, you wrote:
>P.S. There are indeed research directions which deserve the
>epithet "Semantic"

Yes, if it had been called the "Typed Web" or some such, that may have
controlled the expectations better.

As you may know, we have been doing some work that seeks to reason not only
with a highly declarative technical semantics, but also with human-oriented
English (or French).

The "Semantic Web Presentation" at www.reengineeringllc.com talks about
this.  There's also a system that is live, online.  One can use a browser
to run a number of examples provided, and also to write and run one's own
examples.

To summarize, the idea is that "semantic" (in this context) raises
expectations that natural language will be used to some degree, and that's
what we are doing.

Comments?          Cheers,  -- Adrian

                                            INTERNET BUSINESS LOGIC

                                              www.reengineeringllc.com