Re: [seweb-list] A discussion: Is semantic web an old fashioned idea?Is it bubble, unworthy or an interesting research area - Post your c omments

I would almost echo Peter's comments. I started a company in 1999
focusing on semantic technology licensed from academia (LSDIS lab, Univ
Georgia).
Semagix www.semagix.com (formerly Taalee/Voquette prior to
acquision/merger). While the academic
research predates current coining and definition of "Semantic Web" (we
called it
Semantic Information Brokering that included the Web as an
infrastructure) many concepts,
approaches, and some representational guidelines are common.

As one of several such examples, Semagix is well beyond small startup
stage,
with enterprise class product for semantic integration and
semantic analytics/discovery applications, customers (including several
Fortune 500] paying what an enterprise class software costs and
investing  what is necessary to deploy an enterprise class application.
Specifics are provided, for those interested, in:
"*Semantic* (*Web*) *Technology* In *Action*: Ontology Driven
Information Systems for Search, Integration and Analysis" (copy at:
http://wwwt.semagix.com/documents/SemanticWebTechinAction.pdf)].
An average and a mean ontology Semagix has developed has more than a million
entity/concept instances and more than a million relationship instances
(ie a large knowledge base gets used in its processing)
[Google: SWETO if interested in accessing a free public use ontlogy of
this size].
And the heterogeneous documents/pages could be in millions
(or millions per day) and in one case,
with appropriate preprocessing/filtering, Web scale (billion+).

Other companies, such as Network Inference and Ontoprise, try to follow
the current mainstream
view of Semantic Web even more closely, and we can have our aguments
on what scales, and whether complex query processing and other
discover/mining
techniques deliver the results, or an inferencing (that may or may not
scale today)
is critically important.  But as Peter says in has point relating to the
ARPAnet,
all this will undergo more transformation (as TBL and others also
expect/agree),
but the process has started, and initial sucesses have been demonstrated.
In the process it is ok and quite likely that some research and VC funds
got used
to retry techniques that did not work/scale earlier (they may scale now or
meet the same fate as in earlier winter, but there are too many choices
and several are succeeding), but it is important
not to throwout baby with the bath water.  What is important is not to limit
one's view with a single approach coming from AI, KR, NLP, DB, IR,
or to make up the mind on potential success or failure of a multidiscipinary
fields like semantics and semantic web with that one any one of the
traditional
fields and associated techniques.

So as to keep this (relatively) short, some more views are in a SIGSEMIS
interview: www.sigsemis.org

Regards,
Amit Sheth
http://vivisimo.com/search?query=Amit+Sheth