Re: Human-Opaque URIs

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 05:42:42 +0100, Phil Dawes wrote:
> Do you use any opaque URIs for properties and classes?

No, for the reasons you talk about, but its just as commonly a problem, as
you often end up with a class with a slightly misleading, or historical
name. Database people generally seem to have human readable table and
column names too.

I have seen ontologies with classes like class214, but not many. I think
the FCA people do it more than general ontology people.

> But the advantages are so compelling to me that I'm wondering if
> opaque uris are the way forward for classes/properties too. Maybe
> developers could use a gui tool to generate their queries (including
> comments) before cut-n-pasting into code?

With the extensive use of rdfs:label this could be OK, but I like my
queries to be readable.

- Steve