Re: Graph naming?

On Feb 25, 2004, at 12:04 PM, Dave Beckett wrote:

> The key issue is as long as you know what kind of context is being
> used;
> we identified three types at a SWADE workshop[1]:
>   1) source URI (where the triples came from, usually always a URI)
>   2) subgraph/submodel identifier
>   3) an internal/statement identifier
>
> You have to be clear what you are defining for context.

indeed - that workshop was definitively useful and it should be a good
starting point for any future work about that - and I guess the best
way it would be to start surveying some good/sane use-cases or
scenarios of usage of contexts, provenance, graph naming, dark-triples,
quads, sources, spaces, domains (how many terms have we got for the
"same" thing? :) and how to query/treat those in our applications - I
set up some query use-case for "naming" sometime ago
http://rdfstore.sourceforge.net/2002/06/24/rdf-query/query-use-
cases.html#11 - feel free to add you own tool-specific examples to
that.

Another way it would be to approach this problem bottom up, and
designing/inventing some very simple RDF vocabulary to let people to
express such things in their RDF/XML today - but I understand this is
not the proper way - actually the other way round :)

> I'd say that adding anything to rdf:RDF will break parsers; they are
> entitled
> to assume that it can have no attributes other than those specified in
> the syntax.

yes - I would not like too much extending existing RDF/XML syntax in
that direction i.e. making it not backward compatible

> rdf:RDF could have been used to label graphs and sub graphs but again,
> the WG left this alone.  The question of "what does naming a
> graph/subgraph mean?" seems the first and most important thing to
> answer.

yep fully agree - that is the question we need to answer - even though
we have got applications to write today which need such useful
extensions ;)

definitively something to start to think and talk about in the upcoming
future.

cheers

Alberto