Re: Graph naming?

Graham Klyne wrote:
> At 00:06 24/02/04 +0100, Jos De_Roo wrote:
>> While at it, I'm still doing well without additional
>> notation for naming graphs. For the normal case of flat
>> graphs written in rdf documents with uri's it is quite
>> obvious for an engine to keep track from where it got a
>> specific triple.
>
> This reminds me of one of those simple ideas that's been kicking around
my
> head for a while, but I don't think I ever expressed...
>
> Notation3 (as I understand it) has a simple way of creating named graphs
> within a document;  the idiom I use is:
>
>     uri :- { <formula> }

You mentioned that some time ago, and indeed, looking into
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2000/10/swap/notation3.py?rev=1.151&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
there's line 606
            if str[j:j+2] ==":-":

and line 1294
        self._write(" :- {")

but I can't find anything of that in
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2000/10/swap/notation3.html?rev=1.28&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

My point was that in our test case work we never came
to a point where we needed something like that...

> It would be a small extension, I think, to do something similar with
RDF/XML:

>     <rdf:RDF rdf:ID="foo">
>       :
>      (RDF statements)
>       :
>     </rdf:RDF>
>
> or
>
>     <rdf:RDF rdf:about="uri">
>       :
>      (RDF statements)
>       :
>     </rdf:RDF>
>
> Thus, an RDF element might be treated as a syntax construct for a node
that
> happens to be a graph.
>
> Is this conceptually broken in any way I haven't noticed?

I believe that Jonathan Borden proposed something like that in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2002JanMar/0036.html
and DanC found that an "interesting idea... devious, even!" in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2002JanMar/0037.html
and you found it an "Interesting idea" in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2002JanMar/0038.html
and I also agreed in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2002JanMar/0039.html

but somehow it didn't make it...