Re: RDF Triples in XML, named graphs

Eric Jain wrote:

>>In this way, the same XQuery could be executed against a knowledge
>>base and/or an actual TriX instance. One could then think of TriX
>>as a means of integrating RDF and XQuery.
>>

> This is an interesting application. We currently store triples in a
> relational database. This is quite efficient, but requires us to map
> RDQL statements to SQL. If TriX works well with XQuery to the extent
> that XQuery could be used as an equally convenient but more flexible
> replacement for the RDQL subset that we have implemented, this would be
> a strong argument. On the other hand I'm slightly concerned about the
> performance of XML databases (size of RDF/XML is 7GB). Anyone have any
> experience here?

I would be surprised if the XQuery route was not significantly slower than
native RDF query using RDQL or similar (even when translated in SQL).

I think TriX permits such integration of XQuery and RDF, but that does not
replace the need for languages such as RDQL.

I suspect one could have an RDQL to XQuery translater, which would be
particularly useful for smaller documents in primarily XML environments.

Jeremy