Re: Non SemWeb uses of RDF

Brian Manley wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> "how do you define a 'non semantic web application'"
>
> This is a hard question. I think I know a semweb app when I see it, but I'm not sure how to define it. I think ( perhaps naively ) of semweb applications as those that either produce or consume RDF metadata relating to web-accessible resources. RSS aggregators, browsers, etc. fall into this category. On the other hand, a non semweb application doesn't really concern itself with whether or not the resource it's describing is a web-accessible resource or not. It could be a web page about rocks, or an actual, physical rock.

The problem is that it's pretty much the intent that semantic web
languages be able to describe things that *aren't* web-accessible
resources, so that kind of definition rules a lot of things out.
Something more reasonable would be if it were an application that was
*using* the RDF (no matter what it described) in some kind of
recognizable web context.  Agents interacting via web protocols would be
an obvious example, but perhaps RDF data that *could* be interchanged on
the web (not necessarily immediately) would be another.  (Note that
internal, non-public webs would also be included in this definition;
there are some).

> My limited googling and research seems to indicate that the semweb community itself is a bit fuzzy on the question too. True?

I wouldn't be surprised (that is, I'm sure there are people in the
community who are quite clear on the question in their own minds, but I
don't think there's necessarily a community consensus).  A certain
fuzziness is, I think, reasonable under the circumstances, but I also
think we want "truth in advertizing" so to speak.  After all, a simple,
but not necessarily helpful, definition of a "business application"
would be "an application that's used in business".  CIM/XML (the RDF
language I mentioned originally) is used in power generation, power
generation is a business, ergo RDF is used in business.  That's
certainly reasonable in a sense, but doesn't really answer the question
either.

--Frank