RE: RSS data transience and the semantic web

Hi Bob:

First off, I would query (like Dan) what the issue of transience has to do
with the semantic web. Isn't this anyway something akin to the Grid which
has very dynamic process set-up and tear-down?

But talking specifically to permanence and RSS 1.0, we are maintaining a TOC
archive of our journal feeds - not just supplying the latest feed. E.g. the
current feed for Nature will always be symbolically linked to by

 <http://www.nature.com/nature/current_issue/rss>
http://www.nature.com/nature/current_issue/rss

which (this week) is redirected onto

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v430/n7002/rss.rdf
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v430/n7002/rss.rdf>

If you try plugging in other numbers into the URL you can access the earlier
feeds. At present we just go back to March or thereabouts but we are
considering extending it back to cover all our online issues.

We would also like to supply an OpenURL interface (see
http://library.caltech.edu/openurl/Standard.htm
<http://library.caltech.edu/openurl/Standard.htm> ) as a means of providing
a public link syntax for retrieving these feeds.

Cheers,

Tony