RE: Concise Bounded Descriptions - updated, expanded, stand-alone definition

I'm very glad you asked this question, because I was planning on
a followup post to my last one to address this important issue.

There are two key points I want to make:

1. The refinement of the CBD definition to take into account
   known IFPs is primarily intended to be a "sanity check" for
   the sending agent -- so that it does not inadvertantly
   dump most/all of its knowledge base when describing a single
   named resource.

   For those using FOAF, where most "significant" resources
   (persons, organizations, etc.) are denoted by anonymous
   nodes differentiated by IFPs, the revised definition is
   very important for efficiency.

2. If some resource is important enough that some agent may
   want to ask about it specifically, you should denote it
   using a URI. Period.

   You don't necessarily have to use an http: URI, or even an
   HTTP dereferencable URI (though IMO you should, and it's
   really not that hard to do) but a guid: URI or a uuid:
   URI or a tag: URI or any kind of urn: URI will do fine.

   The miracle of OWL's IFPs and owl:sameAs is that even if
   everyone uses different "local" URIs to denote people,
   organizations, etc. it's straightforward to equate the
   different names so we know we're talking about the same
   thing (and for those who seem to have a particular aversion
   to having many URIs denote the same resource -- note that
   numerous anonymous nodes denoting the same resource are just
   as distinct/unique/non-mergable as different URIs, but
   just less useful/convenient for querying.

   IMO, it is non-optimal-practice to use vocabularies such
   as FOAF to describe resources such as persons and organizations
   and denote them with anonymous nodes. I'm a big fan of FOAF
   and admire the way it uses IFPs effectively, but please, even
   if you use FOAF, name the damn things with URIs! ;-)

   Then we don't have to employ round-about query tactics to
   get at them indirectly via IFPs.

   IMO the primary use of IFPs should serve the purpose of inferring
   the denotational equivalence of two nodes, and should not be
   used as a primary query access solution for accessing a particular
   anonymous node. Folks should avoid *relying* on IFPs to differentiate
   their resources. If resources are important enough to ask about
   and talk about in a broader context than just one system (or even
   then) give them URIs.

   To specifally answer your question above, to access an anonymous
   node via IFPs, one cannot use URIQA to simply ask for a CBD,
   since such requests are based on URIs naming the resource in
   question. Rather, you have to employ a much more general and
   capable query solution (e.g. what the DAWG are working on)
   which puts much greater demands on both ends of the implementation.

   That's not to say that full RDF query solutions are not to be
   promoted and used, only that the practice of relying on IFPs
   to distinguish anonymous node denoted resources rather than using
   URIs to denote such resources borders IMO on "bad practice" and
   imposes those greater processing/query burdens since simple
   protocols such as URIQA cannot be used.

> Also, what is the metadata authority for a blank node?

Firstly, neither the definition of CBD nor URIQA address the idea
of metadata authority for any particular node in a graph. URIQA
defines the idea of metadata authority in terms of the web authority
component of an HTTP dereferencable URI, for those URIs that contain
web authority components. Since one cannot use the URIQA protocol
to query about particular anonymous nodes, the question cannot be
answered insofar as URIQA or CBDs are concerned.

Secondly, and technically, I would presume that the metadata
authority for a particular anonymous node would be the originator
of the graph in which that node first occurs, but that's pretty
slippery and probably not very useful in practice.

This is another example of why "significant" resources should
always be named with URIs, because URIs also can provide a means
to differentiate between authoritative and third-party assertions
about that resource, whereas anonymous nodes are (in practice)
untraceable (i.e. unless alot of provenance infrastructure is added,
which tends to be non-portable in many cases anyway).

SUMMARY: Name everything with URIs and your life will be easier.

Cheers,

Patrick