Re: AW: AW: Distributed querying on the semantic web

Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>f.e. you must not use w3.org uris for your schemas if you are no w3
>>developer.
>

> Must not?  Why not?  Yes, there can be negative consequences, which in some
> cases make it infeasible to do this, but I don't know of an actual
> Web-based prohibition against this.
as a supporting example: I am the proud owner of a copy of the java code
for W3C's model API developed for M&S.
AFAIK this is no longer supported by the W3C.
Being Java the package names use the w3.org domain name.

If I find a bug, I can fix it in my copy, and reship. In this way I have
modified resources that do not belong to me - but I think some people might
think I am doing the world a service.

(Of course, as a Jena developer, I believe I would be doing the world a
bigger service by suggesting migrating to Jena!)

I suspect legally I should check the terms and conditions of the download
before doing such a bugfix.

Jeremy