RE: ANNOUNCEMENT: RDFStyles: alternative to XSLT for RDF

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, DuCharme, Bob (LNG-CHO) wrote:

> >That XSLT does not work with RDF is clear and sad.

yes, very sad, and for many people, a big factor in not using RDF is
because they can't use it with their existing XML tools like XSLT. You
can see the disappointment in their eyes when they realize they can't
query arbitrary foaf data with XSLT, for example (or not
straightforwardly: Morten Frederiksen and Max Froumentin and others have
various approaches).

> Not clear to me. XSLT works with well-formed XML, RDF can be expressed as
> well-formed XML, XSLT can work with it. Of course, it doesn't have a

It can, but not usually usefully because of the syntactic variations RDF
can use to express the same graph.

> built-in RDF parser to find RDF triples; is that what you meant? XSLT
> processors also don't render SVG when it finds it or display XForms when it
> finds them, but because these formats are XML, XSLT can read them and offer
> the stylesheet developer the opportunity to do something with the
> information in them. It can "work with" all of them.

Libby