Re: (Round 2) Proposed Extensions to OWL

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 11:21, Roger L. Costello wrote:

> Should an ontology be concerned about the relationship of quantities?
> Or, should an ontology be concerned just about the relationship of
> entities?  What's an entity?
Well, "ontology" is "concerned with the nature and relations of being",
so there is a tendency to want to relate the two items together.

However, I see a difference between <name>Ian Stuart</name>,
(a physical object), and trying to say that an inch-measurement is the
same as a centimetre measurement.

Now, if you want to talk about, say a wheel which is 7.5 inches thick
being that same object as a wheel that is 18.38cm thick, that's fine -
the two *objects* are the same.

I just have a problem with trying to scale your 1-inch is the same as
2.45cm (do we include mm, cubits, fathoms, vara, feet [and who's "foot":
russian, english or roman?)

Just my 0.02p

--
--==++
Ian Stuart, Perl Laghu. EDINA, Edinburgh University.

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty