RE: Need compelling story on the value of ontologies in fusing location-based data

I have something for you:

I have been lead programmer and desiger in a big "mobile sales" software
where people drive around selling stuff to shops, workshops or
industries. There we did program a "this may be a customer" thing, the
salesperson has a computer in his car that does the navigation with maps
and salesroutes (we did program the navigation).
On the map customers where shown and - this is for you - COULD BE
CUSTOMERS.
With semantic web you could make COOL queries like
"which companies that need my products are around here where my Car is
and have not been contacted by my coworkers ?"

Here RDF comes to its full potential, when the industry types are
categorised, you have URIs for all your products and all industry
classes. You have ontologies that describe that a company does this and
that. You have ontologies that can infer that a NGO is also a company or
that a Sportsclub needs sports goods.
You need the semantic web to get the data from the homepages or whatever
source. You can integrate different data sources with RDF to combine tax
data with yellowpages data. Especially the URIs are great: If a company
has one of your products "on sale", it may be a reselling costumer for
you.

keep spinning.... mobile sales is a big money business area, examples
from here have weight because in sales, you can measure the impact of
software directly in numbers.

right ?

Leo Sauermann
Vienna, Austria