RE: Trust, Context, Justification and Quintuples

I think it may have been my comments that gave the idea of log:semantics
being functional over time.  I didn't mean to assert that.

I agree very much with Jos' posting, and particularly the apposite
quotations from the RDF Semantics spec.

My suggestion that a particular URI is associated by log:semantics with a
given graph is applicable only within the context (sic) of a "snapshot" of
the Web.  I think there remains much interesting work to do in SW to start
to capture useful aspects of the various manifestations of context.

We currently work with this assumed idea of a static, context-free Web as a
localized first approximation for developing some useful tools (which is
not stated explicitly, apart from that quote from RDF Semantics).  I think
it's rather like the way that much of mathematics deals with linear
systems, because non-linear systems are hard to model analytically,
notwithstanding that most things in the world are mathematically non-linear
-- that doesn't stop us from getting useful results from linear
mathematics;  we just have to remember that these results aren't the
ultimate truth about life, the universe and everything [1].

#g
--

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#ultimateQuestion-42
     http://www.w3.org/2003/11/15-tag-summary.html#uq

At 23:44 22/12/03 -0500, David Menendez wrote:
>Jos De_Roo writes:
>
> > David Menendez writes:
> >> This means we can't treat <http://example.com/alice>!log:semantics
> >> as an identifier of a specific graph, because it indicates different
> >> graphs at different times.
> >
> > It is indeed true that it could indicate different graphs at
> > different times.
>
><snip quotes from RDF-MT>
>
>Certainly, RDF-MT says nothing about change over time, but I was asking
>about the use of the term log:semantics, which is defined elsewhere. You
>seemed to be suggesting that log:semantics is functional, but there's no
>way to make that work in with http: URIs.
>
> > I believe that the 'snapshot' idea can be engineered
> > (put into engines :-))
>
>Handling different graphs from the same source is basically the same as
>handling different graphs from different sources. You just have to be
>careful about what you're saying. (That is, "Resource X asserted Y at
>time Z" is more useful than "Resource X asserted Y".)
>--
>David Menendez <zednenem@psualum.com> | "In this house, we obey the laws
><http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem>      |        of thermodynamics!"

Graham Klyne