RE: WordNet and Concepts - versioning conceptual schemes

Just to pitch in with a seed of an idea ...

I'm imagining that a way to handle evolution and change of concept schemes
such as wordnet is to release discrete versions, and then define a complete
backwards mapping from each new version to the last.

So for example, if a new concept has been inserted, you could state that ...

<rdf:Description rdf:about="http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.7/love#5">
	<soks-map:exactMatch
rdf:resource="http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/love#4"/>
</rdf:Description>

... actually <owl:sameAs> would probably do just as well in the above
example, but the additional mapping statements of SKOS-Mapping might be
helpful where concepts are replaced by similar (but not identical) concepts,
or combinations of concepts.

I haven't written any of this up yet, it's just an idea of a potential use
for a mapping vocabulary.  What do you think?

Alistair.

[1] SKOS-Mapping pre-release
<http://www.w3c.rl.ac.uk/2003/11/21-skos-mapping>
[2] SWAD-Europe Thesaurus Activity